Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

13 weeks


Week 12 blended in to week 13 with the great bleeding scare... but at 13w1d we got to have an ultrasound and SEE our baby and HEAR the heartbeat!

I am completely convinced that the sound of a baby's beating heart in utero is the most beautiful sound in the world...

We were able to hear the "whoosh whoosh whoosh" of the little heartbeat, see the baby turn its head back and forth, watch it wave its little hands and see its absolutely perfectly formed leg and foot, as well as the profile of its adorable face. I'm completely smitten.

I will admit, prior to this week, I was having some off-and-on difficulty really "bonding" to the pregnancy. Part of that may be because sometimes I have to remind myself that I AM actually pregnant! Besides my baby bump, I don't always have a ton of symptoms. Sure, I'm hungry all the time and I gag a lot and have a few food aversions and get more tired than usual... but I don't go around "feeling" pregnant all the time. Then of course we were really worried about the baby for a few days and Steve stresses enough for about 25 people instead of just one. So then that makes me worry and stress more than I might usually...

But seeing and hearing and watching our baby really changed that for me. And not only that, during our really rough days the week before, I'm fairly certain I felt the baby move several times. :) It felt like tiny little butterflies in my stomach and was very faint. Each time it was when I was lying down resting and usually after I had eaten. I can't wait for the flutters to get stronger so I can tell for sure that it's not my imagination. ;) I have read that it's not very common to feel the baby before 15 weeks and that some people don't feel anything until closer to 20. Aslan said she felt her baby (a boy!) at 14 weeks. I do feel that 12 weeks is a little early but then again, I'm showing early too so I won't dismiss those feelings as real! :)

Before my ultrasound appointment I was told that I had to drink 32 ounces of water at least 45 minutes prior to check in so that I would have a full bladder. They said, "I know 32 ounces is hard, but you need to drink at LEAST 24." I was a very obedient patient and drank the full 32 ounces, feeling very proud of myself. And also feeling like I was going to BURST! When the tech called us back she asked how badly I had to use the bathroom and I told her just how badly. She asked how far along I was and when she found out that I was 13 weeks she scoffed and said, "You can empty your bladder."

Phew.

I imagine the ultrasound was much more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise!

We told the tech about the nurse who had told us that ultrasounds were "not safe" and that they don't like to do them unless absolutely necessary. The tech's mouth fell open and she said, "Um... I have to report to my boss that they're telling people this..." I told her yes, please do report that. She asked if I would mind if her boss called me and I said certainly not, I would be happy to tell him about the conversation and what I was told. I hope I do end up getting a phone call about that because we have been told some really ridiculous things.

My biggest symptom for week 13 has been the roller coaster emotions. I don't think I have ever cried so much (or so hard) during a single week before. Poor Steve, he has to put up with so much. The other night I was sitting in a heap on the bathroom floor, just SOBBING my eyes out and gasping to him, "Being pregnant is HARD!" (Compared to the vast majority of the population, I think I am actually having a VERY easy pregnancy, but in that moment, it seemed so hard.) He suggested that we just have this one child and I was extremely quick to shoot that idea down. Lol.

So far I haven't gained any weight. I'm hovering within about a pound of where I've always been for the last couple of years. I'm interested what the doctor will have to say about that at my next appointment. Is it common to not gain any weight for quite awhile (while also not being sick)?

A friend of mine called the other day. She works part-time for a pregnancy center in town and when business gets slow they sometimes look for "models" to do ultrasounds on. Apparently business is slow right now because she offered me an ultrasound! We get to go in at 14w5d and see our little prince or princess again. :) One of the most exciting things was that she told me I can be scanned up to three times before I hit 20 weeks. This is REALLY exciting because it means we can go in again at 17w5d and likely find out what we are having!!!!! (Kaiser won't tell us until 20 weeks.)

Everyone says the second trimester is the best. You gain back energy, get sick less (I only gagged once this week!) and just generally feel much better. I'm excited for the next 3 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment